Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Cult Soundtracks Vinyl Discoveries

I am an avid soundtrack collector, specially when it comes to obscure, cult and rare Italian 60's and 70's composers such as Bruno Nicolai, Riz Ortolani, Stelvio Cipriani, Piero Piccioni, Goblin, Fabio Frizzi, Luis Bacalov, Piero Umiliani, and many, many others. Ennio Morricone, no longer a "rare" name but a living legend in his own right, is one of my biggest and frequent obsessions. One can simply never have enough Morricone. More "mainstream" composers such as John Williams, John Barry, Basil Poledouris, Danny Elfman and Jerry Goldsmith also figure prominently in my collection.

One of the main reasons why I got back into vinyl was precisely because I thought it'd be fun to hunt-down some of these recordings and find the original pressings. Little did I know that I would soon start finding them for incredibly low prices and in the most unexpected of places. Some of them in mint condition, some irreparably damaged and/or badly scratched, some even still unopened! The pile is now getting bigger, and the load on my Ikea shelf heavier by the week. Yesterday was a particularly rewarding day. I found lots of Morricone original pressings (some of them Italian) at my local Specs, and grabbed all of them without hesitation. I thought it'd be fun to document my "adventures" here, with some visual evidence. Let's start with some Ennio jewels. I'll be adding more images as the collection grows...



"A Fistful Of Dollars", original 1967 RCA pressing. 

Both "A Fistful Of Dollars" + "For A Few Dollars More". US RCA 1976 re-release. 


"Une Pistola Per Ringo" + "Il Ritorno Di Ringo", original Italian pressing. Year unknown. 


"My Name Is Nobody", 1979 Cereberus Records pressing.

"Quemada", 1970 United Artists US release

"La Storia Vera Della Signora Dalle Camelie", Italian pressing. Year unknown. 

"Revolver", 2000 Dagored Italian re-release.

No comments: